I had an interesting experience the other day in church. Hyrum Smith, the creator of Franklin Planners and like products, sat in the row in front of me. His grandkids were in a primary program in my ward. I am not a big Hyrum fan for reasons I will not get into at this time and as some of you already know, but what was kind of cool is during the meeting he broke out his day planner. By using my subtle ways and eaves dropping eyes, I was able to see how the master planner planned his days. It was kind of cool, it was like watching Bill Gates use a computer or seeing what songs Steve Jobs has on his IPOD. Or like watching Al Gore use the internet.
For me this experience was meaningful because I love my Franklin Day Planner. I use it every day. I enjoy being organized and on time. One of my thrills in life is checking off a task as I complete it. A few years ago I tried to start to use an electronic PDA thing and I could not do it. I did not even last 3 days. For those like me that know all the planner tips and tricks, it was interesting to note that Mr. Smith was utilizing all of them. He had arrows showing how long his planned meetings should go on the appointment schedule area. He even used the much neglected "Delegated Task" in the Prioritized Daily Task List area. I have never been good or important enough to even use the "In Process" tool much less the "Delegated Task" tool. I just have no one to delegate to that would actually do what I wanted. I could tell Daisy to do my ironing and write on there "Task Delegated" but I doubt she would really do it for me. Especially since we don't own an iron, but I digress.
Mr. Smith, as we will call him because that happens to be his name, is also a Monticello guy. I am original just because it is the cheapest. It was also interesting to see that he uses a Classic size, you would think he was important enough to use that huge size, the MONARCH, even though people that need a planner the size of wallpaper ought to be ashamed of themselves. When I see the MONARCH sized planner, it always reminds me of going to high school prom type dances and getting a picture taken with your date and you always had the opportunity to choose the size of photo you want and if you check the biggest it is just this huge monstrosity of a photo that shows every zit and blemish on your face and where you need to clear a 3 Foot by 4 Foot space for it on your wall if you really are the type of person that hangs those things up. I was a big enough loser to waste $100's of dollars on tuxes and dinners for those stupid dances and with people that I never see and don't care about now but at least I never got the wallpaper sized photo. If you got that size in high school on purpose you were a loser.
Monday, October 30, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I used to use the franklin planner a lot, but I didn't like having to buy it each year and storing or throwing away huge amounts of paper each year. Now I stick to a blank notebook. Do you guys really not own an iron?
I know we had an iron at one time but I have not seen it in a long time. I know we don't have an ironing board because I bought one like 5 years ago and I bought a junky one that sits on a counter and that did not work for Daisy even though I have not seen the iron since. She probably is doing a bunch of secret ironing when I am not around, like putting a nice crease in her jeans and stuff like that.
What I meant to say was, I think it's a beautiful idea not own an iron. I'm all for the concept of simplify, simplify, simplify. And I'm all for bucking the norm of ironed clothing. It's a waste of time that could be spent blogging.
Post a Comment