I am 100% in favor of full-disclosure when it comes to my girls. When my oldest asked about the Tooth Fairy, I had to tell her. I don't offer up these things but if I am asked I have to tell the truth.
This is true of talk of sex, male and female genitalia, and now menstruation as well. A stray tampon in the kitchen, of all places, led to a talk about what a tampon is which led us to a brief discussion about what happens to boys and girls bodies as they get older. Needless to say, at the end of the conversation, not only did she not want to grow up, she did not want to be a girl anymore.
We talked about the different things or roles that boys and girls have. Girls get to have babies, pee sitting down, wear bras, and get monthly visits from aunt flow. I was trying to think of something terrible that boys do, I mentioned they usually work all day but I had a hard time coming up with anything else bad about being a boy.
One thing I mentioned is that Boys make better friends. Boys tend to tell each other what they are thinking while girls and even women sometimes keep feelings about each other inside. Once I liked this girl and one of my friends hooked up with her. It was not a big deal, I think it was 9th grade, but the friend kind of did it quietly behind my back because the girls liked him and he wanted to get with her without hurting my feelings. So when we spoke about it later, I explained that I was only mad about the way it was done and not the act itself.
I don't think girls have a propensity to talk things out with their friends. In my experience, girls just hold a grudge and talk about their friends to other friends. They don't seem to be able to be open about things like boys can.
The wif told the story about trying to be open about something with girlfriends and it backfired on her big time. Maybe part of it was the way she did it, I don't know, but I think the reason my high school friends remain close is our ability to talk about issues and address them up front rather than bury them or hold grudges.
Thankfully, my daughter had her own list of things that boys have to do which are bad. Her number one was the boy has to ask the girl to marry him. She definitely did not want to be the one to ask for marriage, "embarrassing", she said.
So we got her back on the girls bandwagon but I hope I can teach her to have friends like I think a boy would. She has made phone calls on several occasions already trying to clear the air with friends and she is only eight so I have high hopes for her.
Wednesday, March 05, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Girls are just way to sensitive and read into things too much. You are definitely right about boys just getting things out and out of the way and moving on. Maybe it's because when girls decide they want to talk about it, they talk too much and talk it to death! Guilty.
And there's nothing wrong with a tampon in the kitchen. It opened up a great discuss around the dinner table.
I know your high school friends and some act a little more like girls so how has THAT worked?
It would be beneficial to everyone if boys could go through one day of each tri mester pregnant, have one labor pain, and one period. I'm with your daughter, making the first move and proposing would be hard. voice cracking is enbarrassing too.
So far I've been honest with Angie. But for the most part it has involved simply telling her where her baby is. I'm hoping she doesn't learn how to say tampon any time soon, or I could be in trouble.
ha ha. chloe kept asking over and over how the baby got in my tummy. i finally told her. she already knew about the difference in boys and girls. and that girls have 3 holes and a baby comes out of one. so it was easy. i told her she couldn't tell her friends. their parents have to. i just hope she remembers so i don't have to explain it again later.
I'm with Parly. We sure lucked out on the whole proposing thing. I'm glad I dodged that bullet. I'd much rather go through labor...maybe talk to me about that in another few weeks.
3 Holes??????
Is this "3 hole" concept commonly understood? I was thinking aloud with Heat about this, "but if you count the mouth, why stop at nostrils, ear canals…"
And then we had our talk. I guess it kinda makes sense. Have all wives had to have this talk with their hubbies?
ha ha ha! so funny my eyes are tearing! I'll have to ask my hubby if he has any questions about this post.
Sierra just had her "maturation" talk. we watched the video & it was totally lame just like i remembered it.
I'm very open & honest with my kids because i just know that keeping us kids sheltered totally backfired on my parents....oops!
Post a Comment