Wednesday, March 26, 2008

No they never taught us what was real

I made a very significant change in my life not too long ago. It's the kind of change that I think life is all about. I mean, are we not here to constantly improve, to constantly strive to be better? I feel that we are. So in the spirit of becoming a better person, I decided to move my shower schedule from 3 times a week to 4.

I am one of the unluckiest people I know. I do believe that you make your own luck so much of that is my fault but it seems like, when I compare myself to others around me, if something silly is going to happen, it will happen to me. But there is one thing I have always had that has been so nice in life and that is the power to not have BO.

I know what you are thinking. Everyone has BO, people just THINK they don't have BO cuz they are used to their smell or something. But this is not the case with me. I will and have asked strangers off the street if I smell. They smell me and say "what, did you just shower?" and I say, "no, just got done playing basketball".

The problem with showering 3 times a week is there are 7 days in a week. You do the math, that means there are 2 days there where a shower does not happen. This is too much for a normal man. I used to do Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday morning. So Saturday was kind of a pushing it day. If I was going out or something I would go crazy and shower on Saturday but usually I could make it from Thurs to Sunday.

Lately though I have been trying to exercise more. I have been going to the gym and trying to do some sort of exercise every day. This has made it necessary that I go from 3 shower days a week to 4. Now I am Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday AND Sunday. I have been going to the gym Saturdays and even though I still smell fresh and crisp, I have found it best to shower after the gym nearly every time.

If you don't believe me, you can smell for yourself.

Also, the song Allentown by Billy Joel is one of the best songs ever. Go to Seeqpod and enter it in right now for a listen.

18 comments:

Ashley said...

Everyone needs goals shayne, way to push the envelope.

Anonymous said...

What's that smell?

Amy said...

congratulations. this is huge. maybe I will up mine from 2 to 3... I have been inspired.

Erica Onelove said...

How does Daisy feel about this?

Does she think you smell so fresh & so clean clean?

AT least you probably don't have dry skin.

Shayne said...

Daisy, what is your feeling on this? Please speak your true feelings.

daisy said...

I would love to contradict Shayne here and say that he smells, but I can't. It is very true. I will come back from a run in the morning before it is even hot and Shayne will say I smell like sweat and the outdoors. This is also true. So I'm the smelly one in this relationship. I will say however that when he does shower he goes all out. I'm talking 20+ minutes.

sadie said...

When I first starting reading this, I thought you were crazy. Four showers in a week? Unheard of. But by the end you had me convinced. I think four could definitely be the way to go.

Anonymous said...

when i was a kid i only had to bathe once a week before church and i needed it then more than i need it now.
steve wells went all senior year wearing just one pair of shorts (the kind with the mesh undies sewed into them) and he'd wash them in the shower and let them drip dry on the way to school.
what is your criteria that makes "allentown" one of the best songs ever? it sounds like one of jack black's impromptu songs from nacho libre.

Emily said...

yay.

Anonymous said...

is it just laziness or what? I shower everyday, sometimes twice a day. Just because you dont smell doesnt mean your not dirty.
I am the OG anonymous, all others need not apply.

Kathryn said...

So does that mean you wash your hair four times?

Janalyn said...

Hi Shayne...It's Janalyn. I just came across your blog through Kenny's....funny blog!

Brooke said...

I think Kathy meant "do you wash your hair four times in one shower?" because that's the only reason I can think of for taking 20 minutes.

Haaha Ha. Billy Joel.

Shayne said...

Dude, Allentown. I can't explain it. I don't know if Billy is from there but seems like a passionate song for him.

I think one of the important factors with showering is I heard it was bad to wash your hair every day. I want a full head of gray hear in a few years really bad.

I don't shower for 20 minutes, it is 10 minutes tops. I also turn off the water after washing hair to soap up. Gotta save resources.

Papa said...

Shayne, I used to wash my hair every day and now look at me. You're wise beyond your years.

nana said...

Billy Joel... sweet!

Nate P said...

Dude come on if it's to save a few bucks on the water bill than use the shower at the gym, it's free with the membership. Plus the rat tail whip fights in the locker room are invigorating!

Anonymous said...

the only thing i can think of better than that is on 'journey to the center of the earth' i think, the guy says he doesn't sleep, he doesn't need it. this is the next best thing.

'and so it goes' is one of my favorites, it makes me cry unless i'm in the mood for fighting. and i liked the video for 'uptown girl'