I have a real problem with Valentine's Day. What is up with V-Day? It is not so much Valentine's Day for kids but for adults.
One of the greatest Simpson Episodes ever is Trash of the Titans. It is mostly about U2 and Steve Martin and Homer running for and winning the job of sanitation commissioner. He needs to get backstage at the U2 concert so he disguises himself as a potato man. Just a regular guy with a sack of potatoes. And he goes up to the guard at the door and says "potato man" in a thick Irish accent and the gurad says, "thank heavens man, where have you been?" So funny.
But the episode starts out with the local department store inventing a holiday called "Love Day" because they needed to do something about slumping summer sales. Of course Homer forgets it is "Love Day" and hilarity ensues. I showed 10 minutes of this episode in my masters program which killed by the way but that is a story for another time.
My pet peeve is when people say sorry or I love you or anything when they feel like they have to. If there is one day when someone says "I love you" when it should not count it is Valentine's Day. I refuse to do anything on a Hallmark Holiday where anything I do I am doing because I am supposed to, because society tells me I should. How is that have anything to do with true romance or true feelings?
When I was a kid it was fun. You have the mystery and fun of leaving the valentine and running. You can leave a "mystery" card for someone saying you like them, asking if they will "go" with you. You get candy and chocolate and cards in your school classes, nothing can be so fun as a kid.
But now I am old. As adults, we should be able to see through this corporate smokescreen invented by the Hershey people and the Flower people. I will give my wife flowers on ANY day but February 14th. Ok, I don't do it that much on the other days either but when I do, she knows it is special and meaningful. Besides, she would rather go to dinner than watch some flowers die over a week. It is so transparent on Valentine's, how do women keep a straight face? And then to go out to dinner with the rest of town? No thanks.
Valentine's Day is for suckers. The best part about this is my wife mostly agrees with me. Or at least she pretends to plays along. What a woman.
Monday, February 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Your blog reminded me of how we used to tie the valentines to fishing line then hide in the bushes. When the unsuspecting person bent down to pick up the valentines we would move it with the fishing line. I heard that Marty and Isaac used to do the same trick with the sugar cookies Dona made for the widows until they got caught by Eldon Torbenson.
Yeah, Valentine's is for losers...or at least people who have money.
so imagine how pleased she would be if you did something thoughtful for her despite the fact that you hate the holiday.
Soooo, when are we going to have a nice, Hallmark-inspired, Remorse Day? That way I only have to say "I'm sorry" once a year.
Post a Comment