Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Vote FOR referendum #1

I did, so should you.

I watched a documentary on Neil Young last night. I love Neil. For much of it he is playing to a crowd in Nashville and it would have been so fun to be there.

I know I am getting old when the idea of a loud and standing and sweaty concert sounds less and less appealing to me. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see a lot of concerts. I really wanted to see Ben Folds in Vegas in June. I had decided to go and see BF and then walk out of John Mayer but I ended up not being able to go because I was out of town. My friends parents went and walked out of Ben Folds and came back for John Mayer. I thought that was funny. I guess Ben Folds used the F-Word though all over the place which is not cool.

Anyway, I want to go to a concert and be able to hear the music and not get pushed around, maybe even have my own assigned seat. It would be fun to sit down. Neil would talk and say something profound and it just looked very enjoyable in that show.

It also made me think of how amazing it is to make music. It is not that rare to find someone that can sing, a lot of people can sing. But less can probably write a good song and then less can probably write the words that are meaningful. A lot can probably play a song well too but to have a person that can sing, write music, write lyrics that are meaningful and profound, and play it all is really amazing to me. I was amazed by this last night.

Seeing that guy, playing the guitar, singing, playing the harmonica, and then moving over and playing piano? That is sick to me. I was moved to act by Neil when he sang this song for the Hurricane Katrina relief telethon. This version does not do it justice, it was great.

3 comments:

k8theriver said...

sorry, not gunna do it.

tara said...

right on....vote yes people:)

You are old. but I am old too. I want to sit down. Ponder and enjoy the music. Maybe enjoy a beverage of choice...(Dr. pepper). No more body slamming/bra throwing/hot boxing/sweaty concerts for me.

Anonymous said...

two things:

1) no need to worry about getting pushed around at concerts anymore; like 5 years ago the hipsters got tired of 'moshing' or whatever and decided to not dance anymore. now you just stand there and take pictures with your cameraphone.

2) it turns out that the f-word is indeed cool.