Monday, May 28, 2007

From My Collection

I was looking through my tapes (cassette tapes, not CDs) last Saturday just for funsies and I came across a goody that I had to put right in. I started to think about my music collection and looking through each tape and CD. I started buying CDs in 1996 and before that I had and still have over 200 tapes. I just can't bring myself to get rid of them, I still listen to them once in awhile. I have every Cure tape, every Smiths tape, every U2, every REM, they are still good as gold, I can't throw them in the garbage. As long as they still make tape players which they may not do anymore but I still own one.

So I went through my collection of both CDs and tapes and thought I would give you a snapshot through some categories. All of the albums here are in my collection and are albums I bought myself, not one of the 5 I inherited from Daisy when we got married. A * indicates a cassette tape, the rest are CDs. Here they are in no particular order but like the Oscars I will try and do a good category early on to keep your attention:

Top 5 Albums:

First of all, how pathetic is it that I was able to narrow down hundreds of albums into the 5 best? But to have Neil Young in there twice? I tried my very best to come up with another one I like as much as Harvest but I could not. These albums all had a profound effect on me at different times in my life. I like Nevermind a lot too among others that flirted with the top 5 but to be honest with you, #6 would probably be Harvest Moon.

Top 5 Surprises:

Top 5 "Best Ofs":

I realized through this exercise that I have a lot of "Best Of" sets and albums and that kind of disappointed me for whatever reason. I have felt that buying Best Ofs is kind of a cop out but U guess I cop out a lot.

Top 5 to listen to on a Cold or Rainy Day or a day you just decide to call in sick and spend it at home with the family:

Top 5 Soundtracks:

If these were the top 5 you should have seen the bottom 5.

Top 5 Female Singers Albums:

Top 5 Artists to Listen to with Dinner:

Top 5 Artists collective works I would want if I was stuck on a desert island (it was about here that I got tired of looking up the band or album on Wikipedia and creating a link to them so I stopped):

  • Morrissey (Solo stuff and The Smiths)
  • Ben Folds (Solo and with The Five)
  • REM
  • Neil Young
  • Billy Bragg (His great Solo stuff + I get the stuff he has done with Wilco too, I need to get Wilco's newest, you can stream it here.)

Hard to leave U2 off of that list but that is where I am at right now, sorry Paul, Larry, Adam, and whatever Edge's real name is.

Top 5 Overrated Artists:

  • Bob Dylan
  • Ben Harper
  • Phish
  • Lauryn Hill
  • Dave Mathews Band

Top 5 Underrated/Artists you may not have heard of/should be more popular than they are:

  • The Samples
  • Rusted Root
  • Duncan Sheik
  • Stroke 9
  • Bare Naked Ladies

I could probably say as much as I love Ben Folds that he is the most Under rated but these are too.

Top 5 Albums I was surprised to love:

  • Eminem - Curtain Call (Edited version purchased from Wal-Mart)
  • Soundtrack to the film Crooklyn
  • Stevie Wonder - Song Review
  • Squirrel Nut Zippers
  • Jewel

Top 5 from the 70's:

  • Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
  • Loggins and Messina
  • Steve Miller Band
  • Cat Stevens
  • Grateful Dead - American Beauty*

And finally, there were about 5 more of these lists than there needed to be, Top 5 Funnest:

  • James - Laid *
  • Cake - Fashion Nugget
  • Weezer - The Blue Album
  • Mathew Sweet - 100% Fun (pun intended)
  • The Lemonheads - It's a Shame about Ray *

I learned a lot about my music through this process. I learned that most of my true music loves were formed from 1995-1997, after my mission but before I got married, a pretty important 3 years for me musically I guess. Thanks Josh and Dyer for keeping me somewhat fresh. I have a lot of work left to do though.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

dude i didn't see fp in there anywhere what's the dealio yo?

p.s. i think i showed you this, but here's my pandora profile, tons of rad music on there http://www.pandora.com/people/jralphstanley

Anonymous said...

dude who is that dude kicking ass across america on a bike? that's pretty rad.

Shayne said...

Yes, it's true. I married you for your music collection and the car (the golden Mazda).

daisy said...

Sorry I forgot to change the comment identity. That was me, not Shayne.

Shayne said...

Paul is a former co-worker of mine at the county, you met him J a few times when you came to do the tri, he was in that office with me over at the county. He is doing awesome.

Anonymous said...

Oh, they still make cassette players, my new $40k car came with one, i guess the blue hairs still use them. You must be close to being a blue hair.

Shayne said...

Easy Forty Thousand Dollar rig. I will sell you all my casettes to play in your limo for only $1000. Just roll it into the loan.

Amy said...

Morrissey!
Yes. Did you go see him in SLC just a few weeks ago? I can't figure out why no one tours in South Dakota (haha)

Apparently the Morrissey show was pretty WILD. (we are talking ripping off your shirt -- his shirt-- wild.) too bad I missed it.

Also,
The Samples! YES!

and I agree with the Barenaked Ladies.

I have lots more to say about this thread; but it's time for me to say goodbye to the internet. for now.

Anonymous said...

ralpher, i went on your link expecting to see a lot of familiar artists but i didn't recognize any of them. you're still on the cutting edge of the music industry- so nyc. (i can hear your voice saying to me right now as you read this- "that's life in the fast lane, chia") you're doing a better job at keeping your secret bands well hidden lately. i'm like shayne, i haven't added anything new to my music library since i got married (except leapfrog, primary songs, and heather and nate's annual christmas cd.) i wish i had a copy of that mr t. mother's day song though. we made abe watch it over and over and memorize it and now when he disobeys danika he has to sing it for part of his punishment.
shayne, those are some pretty "obscure" bands- barenaked ladies??? maybe you were in portugal or something when they were big.

Anonymous said...

i just read my comment to see how cool i sounded and realized that i forgot to say thanks to jared for always being a source of new and good music for everyone. almost every band that i love and has withstood the test of time was introduced by jared. he's kind of got a knack for recognizing talent. it has saved me a lot of money over the years. instead of buying something that i think is cool but is just trendy and later turns out to be annoying i just ask ralpher what he thinks about them. i wonder what mine and searle's music collections would look like if we'd never known jared.

Anonymous said...

1. shayne: i remember that dude, holy crap i've been thinking about how rad he is ALL DAY LONG, i need to do the hell out of something rad like that.

2. matt(a.k.a. chia): that's life in the fast lane buddy.

3.matt(a.k.a. chia): anisaythesethingshumblyinthnameofjaredstanleyamen.

Shayne said...

That's funny about bare naked ladies, I remember hearing that song "if I had a million dollars" in a grocery store in Portugal so you probably nailed it Chia, I was just not around for them. I am sure they were huge here.

Sounds like Josh is to me like Jared is to you Chia. The question is, where are Josh and Jared getting all their good music info, that guy/girl is a genious.

Jared, I support you biking across th country for 4 months but I wonder if your wife does....

Anonymous said...

Shayne-
Im not going to let you write a whole post about music that has defined you without even mentioning Bryan Adams.


"I got my first real six-string
Bought it at the five-and-dime
Played 'til my fingers bled
It was summer of '69"

I like most of your lists except that Lauryn Hill is not overrated.

Shayne said...

Oh, the summer of 69'. That was a good un, just 4 short years before I was born.

But really, if you think about all our younger years. There was only you and me, we were young and wild and free. Now nothin can take you away from me. Weve been down that road before, but thats over now. You keep me comin back for more. And baby you're all that I want, when youre lyin here in my arms. I'm findin it hard to believe, we're in heaven.