Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Tribe of Mormon

I just got done reading THIS article that Josh sent me, it is fantastic. It is about Mitt Romney, Mormons, and general beliefs of Mormons. I could not have said any of it better than it was said in this article written by an intellectual and not a member of the LDS Church. If you have half an hour, I highly recommend it.

I have found myself defending Mitt the last few months on more than one occasion. I know a little about what he wants and believes as a candidate. I have made my feelings known on this subject but I think Mitt is a good man. I am not afraid to admit I cheer for him because he is LDS and so am I. We may or may not share exact ideals or beliefs but I would still cheer for him as a member of my faith. I used to be embarrassed about that but I am not anymore.

A few months back I had an older gentleman in my office that has been very successful. He flies helicopters, served in Vietnam, and smokes like a chimney. I always assumed he was at least not active LDS and at most not even a member. I was right, it was the former. But his respect and love of the Mormon faith was something I had never encountered before. We sat and spoke for hours one afternoon. He told stories about his ancestors and Porter Rockwell and it was so enjoyable. He finally made the comment, "Mormonism is not my religion, it is my tribe"

I really liked that. Don't get me wrong, Mormonism is my religion and one of the dearest things to me of all the things I have. I don't treat it with the respect it deserves but I believe it with all of me, I have no doubts. But it is my tribe too. I have been critical in the past of, for example, a certain race that will openly cheer for other members of it's race. I have thought this was wrong. We have seen this with the whole Michael Vick saga. THIS article talks about some of the racial implications. Dog fighting should be wrong no matter what but can I understand those of Vick's race sticking up for him at this time? A little bit, I can.

Right now there is some controversy over the upcoming anniversary and film about the Mountain Meadow Massacre. Let me first say all the requisite things about how terrible it was and wrong on any level. But as an LDS member, do I have something to say about those that carried out this crime? Damn right I do. I don't want to go into a whole long thing here but this was not just some people killing other people in a vacuum. There was a back story here.

Some might say Vick was raised a certain way in a certain income level and this may be a reason something happened. Not an excuse but a reason. I don't know about that but I apply these same thoughts to the Mountain Meadow Massacre. I acknowledge it was horrible and wrong but I seek to understand the climate in which it took place, I think that is important. I think the movie is inaccurate, or simply the most controversial possible scenario of what really happened with very little historical fact, and not only that it is supposed to be just rotten.

In a much lighter way, I find myself cheering for people of my faith. Mitt Romney, Steve Young, whoever it is, in sports or politics or even acting although no one makes it faithfully to acting. In some way I feel like I know these people on an intimate level like someone else may not know them. We may have common experiences like a mission or common habits like church going or abstaining from certain alcoholic beverages. I make no apologies about this. I believe these are my people. I enjoy it. I hope they succeed in all that they do and they are good ambassadors of my faith.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i like the way you described being a mormon like being a part of a tribe. it's definitely the biggest "tribe" that i feel a part of. especially when i'm far from home or in a situation out of my comfort zone, i'm always looking for fellow tribe members. it was always a nice surprise to find that other tribesman/woman at work or in a class or group or whatever (when we lived outside of utah)

i kind of feel like i'm a part of another tribe- the redhead/freckle face tribe. even though i've outgrown most of my freckles and red hair i always feel a special little comraderie with the fellow fires. you automatically know that you have a lot of shared background experiences from growing up a minority redhead. i think we should get some tax breaks or scholorships or something for all we had to endure.

Brooke said...

What about Donny Osmond?

Shayne said...

Ouch, I was hoping no one would bring up Donny. Brook, that Flight of the Condors thing was way funny.

Chia, I think freckles and red hair is more a curse than a club or tribe.

LoGunns said...

I liked the article. It was so accurate I think it must have been written by a member.