We just got back from Logan. The trip itself was good, the wedding was fun, congrats to Sadie and Christian. Things went well and every time I go to Logan I really like the place. The weather is really nice this time of year and of course the summers are great coming from St George. There are about the same amount of "nice" days of weather in both places, just at different times. The major difference, of course, is the extremes in Logan are cold and the extremes in SG are hot and I don't mind the heat (my word the heat).
But weather should not be a major factor in why you live somewhere unless you are over 60. Quality of life, place to raise your family, things to do, friends, schools, jobs, etc should all be high on the list. I drive around Logan and love the homes and the open spaces and the mountains and, with lots of family there, I wonder why I don't live there. So I did a pros list. For every category there is a winner after it. So for example, weather is the first category. For weather, SG is the winner because I like it warm, and so on.
St George v Logan
Weather - SG (100 degrees is better than 0 degrees)
Grandparents (Reeders) - Logan
Grandparents (Scotts) - Logan (get it? a reason to move to Logan is cuz the Scotts are in SG..... funny huh mom?)
Quality of Life - Push
Jobs - SG (I have one in SG and don't in Logan)
Housing - Logan
Schools - Push
Things to do - Push
Good Community - Logan
Friends - SG
Golf - SG
That short list puts it pretty close, 4 for each with 3 pushes.
The last three are the most interesting. When I say Good Community I mean are there people like me there? There are many more people like me and my wife in Logan than there are in St George. When you go to a park in Logan, just like if you do in St George, there are moms with kids playing. The difference is the moms in St George look like this and the moms in Logan look like this. No offense to Wombats or Wombat handlers of course.
Now 50% of you (the male half) are now asking themselves how Logan won that competition. I don't know, isn't a society where all the bodies are how God made them better? Where people eat more than Jolly Ranchers for dinner? Won't my 4 daughters be better off going to the park and looking at what a real woman looks like in all her frumpy ugliness? I know I am putting a whole city in 1 of 2 categories and that is generally not a good idea or fair but there is a difference; we aren't called Vegas North or Utah County South for nothing.
The 2nd to last one on that list is Friends and this is a big one, I really like the people that I hang out with here. We have an amazing neighborhood and I get together with my high school friends for date nights or lunches or trips. My kids live right by school and they have great friends as well and I hate making new friends. A week or so ago we had a little pool party with J while he was here and just looking at his face as we were all hanging out told me he was having a great time and loved that all these friends of his and cool people were all here in the same place. Moments like those really reinforce for me that I am in the perfect spot.
And the last one on that list goes along with the frinds one, and that is golf. SG wins in the golf area, that should not surprise anyone. But it is not so much the array of courses as the people I play with. I have a great group of Friends and neighbors with whom I golf quite regularly. I think it is selfish to put golf on your list of why you should live somewhere (unless you are over 60) but there it is, and it is very important. Sorry. It is what I think about when I think about moving and really trumps all those other reasons put together. I mean, if my family was wallowing in misery and I had the chance to better their lives and give up golf I would do that but fortunately I don't have to make that choice. Two great places with many great characteristics and the winner is the one where I can golf regularly with people I enjoy. Sorry Logan. You will always have those frump uglies at the park and I will always love you for that.
Monday, May 21, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
I burst out laughing when I clicked on that wombat pic link. It was a precious moment.
i agree with all your points--except golf--don't care about that. logan wins for me. i'm more of a wombat woman.
hey shayne, it's chia. i found you through jreds blog. too bad you didn't include ogden in the mix, it would have won hands down. there's way more wombat ladies here.
here's one more reason to move to logan- your kid will have me as a spanish teacher in 6th grade. i just got a job there this morning. now i'm going to have to drive an hour south to ogden to do anything fun, since ogden has it all. golf?? i don't think i'll be visiting this blog anymore... well, as long as you refer to it as a game and not a sport. (i hope andy doesn't read this!)
Matt, that is awesome, you will be moving to Logan? I need all the details. What school? Both of my in-laws teach in Logan as well as both my brothers in law as well. Remember Isaac? Hey, have you seen yourself on this blog post on the YouTube video?
http://j.tumblr.com/post/1814211
Congrats on that.
I will remember your comments when Fast Sunday comes along and we will be having Jolly Ranchers that week.
mt. logan middle school is where i'll be teaching. where's isaac at? is derek still up there? we'll be building a house in either richmond or nibley through some program where we build it with our neighbors under the supervision of a contractor that supplies the tools & know how and we save a bunch in sweat equity. we always thought we'd end up in st. george someday but those dreams died with the housing boom, but at least we're getting out of ogden and we can take the bullet proof vests off of our children when they go outside to play.
chia
That's so cool Chia, that is where my Father in law teaches.
Derek lives about 2 blocks from that middle school in my in laws old place, Isaac is at Logan High.
I am so glad you are up there and got the snap out of Ogden, we will bug you when we come up for a Derek, Isaac, Chia family get together.
I was surprised and relieved to see that I wasn't the frumpy example for your Logan women. it was pretty funny though. Out of Logan or SG, I'd have to go with California everytime. Sorry. LOVE IT HERE.
logan.
Keep telling yourself that Em, someday you might really believe it.
i remember one time i had to fill up my car with air, i pulled into the 7-11 and there was a sign that said "it's SO cold that our air machine stopped working" so
1.I got pissed off because i really needed air and 7-11 let me down, and
2. pretty intrigued to learn that i was living in a place where it's SO cold that machinery stops working.
Logan is pretty kickass, matt it's TIME to get into paragliding.
I must admit Shayne... I do LOL (laugh out loud) every time I read your blog... but that's real funny the picture of the Logan lady is Steve's aunt... oops...
although a plus for Logan is Cinnamon rolls and sugar cookies.....
College Basketball Team:
LOGAN
Thanks for playing.
P.S. Please, please, please keep football out of this.
Post a Comment