Friday, April 27, 2007

I just gotta wear shades

Anyone getting excited for guest poster? I am. 3 more days.

While we wait I went to Mesquite, Nevada the other day with my boss right in the middle of the afternoon. It was a quick trip, we ate at my favorite Mesquite place, Los Lupes Mexican Restaurant. I had the Chile Relleno.

In the afternoon we were walking this empty lot with a client; since I am no real estate agent, I was doing my best to feign interest in the discussion. It was near 90° and there was not a tree for miles. I was not that hot temperature wise, just my normal hot good lookin wise, but I could not look at anything without squinting. There was a glare reflecting off of everything in that concrete jungle. I began, after a few minutes, to make a teepee with my hands to shield my eyes from the glare that was just bouncing off of everything. I am sure I looked very professional. I soon noticed that all the rich guys, which was everyone there but me, had sunglasses on and no one else was making a hand teepee.

I started taking an informal survey around town and a good 60%-75% of people driving on the road during the day wear sunglasses. I am hardly in the majority being what you might call anti-sunglasses. It should be easy to see why I am this way though, many people that wear sunglasses that I see on a day to day basis are kind of full of themselves. And when I developed this bias 20 years ago it was much worse. If you had a mullet in the late 80's you also had those neon colored pink or green oakley sunglasses and 99 times out of 100 you were a jerk. And right now would have been a great place to put an internet picture of those sweet shades but I could not find one anywhere. Did anyone take a picture of those sunglasses back in 89? I defy anyone that thinks of themselves as internet savy to find me a picture of those glasses, you know the ones I am talking about.

So I was in a store a few days later and there was a rack with sunglasses. Buy one pair for $9.99 and get another pair half off so I took the sunglass plunge. There are those out there to whom I now owe an apology. I have a long and storied career of making fun of people wearing sunglasses. If I have ever said to you "easy hollywood" or "man you are good looking but not as good looking as YOU think you are" to you I guess I now apologize. Of course, if you were indoors with your sunglasses on when I said it then I take back the apology and you are back to jerk status. I still have my principles.

I don't like that I am sunglass guy now, I hate it. I feel self-conscious and feel like I am trying to be cool but I am not a young man anymore. As I make long drives in the middle of the day I get bad headaches. When I go to work I drive east from home where the sun rises and drive home to where the sun sets and sometimes I can't see anything and it is dangerous.

So I did it, I bought not one pair but two, what do you want from me? The reasons to buy outweighed the reasons not to buy. I bought the first pair I tried on because I looked like Tom Cruise in Top Gun:




Both pairs are exactly the same, one is an exciting "back up pair" for the time in a few days when I lose the first. If these make my sight better, give me less headaches, and all I have to do is look cool and have more chicks checking me out, it is well worth it I guess. Probably sad it took me this long to make the move.

10 comments:

daisy said...

Tom Cruise, huh. Any resemblance must be because of the great photographer.

Emily said...

Shaaayne! I can't believe you folded. I base many sunny-day conversations with, "Yeah, it's bright...but if you'd believe it, I know this guy--he's my brother-in-law...yeah, um, he doesn't wear sunglasses." There's always a very audible gasp and an impressive nod...and suddenly I'm popular for a short while because everyone wants to talk about this Shayne guy and his sunglassless eyes. I tell you, though, I do feel a bit safer on those St. George roads now (you know, for when I'm in town).
I, of course, am married to a sunglass-loving GEEK who gets very expensive prescription sunglasses that he has to wear in our kitchen with its environmentally friendly, but oh so harsh, fluorescent lightbulbs. I, myself, have been sorely influenced by this man I claim to love and, indeed, wear sunglasses myself.
Well, I'm disappointed...but consider it a leg up on premature blindless.

Brooke said...

Shayne, what about Chums to go with those Oakleys?

I just have to point out that you always seemed like a squinty-eyed person to me. And now I know why. But for some reason I didn't ever notice you were anti-sunglasses.

Emily, Dustin is the awesomest.

Kathryn said...

I think you look really cool in that picture. Even cooler than Tom, because your arms are sticking out like your muscles are way bigger than his.

Anonymous said...

oakley razor blades

Shayne said...

Anonymous, I love you!

Amy said...

So...
where is this exciting/secretive/famous (please1?) guest poster???!!! Not sure I can wait much longer...

Anonymous said...

Shayners, what about the sunglasses you got from Paul's yard sale?!?!

Shayne said...

Those glasses were so cool my sister in law talked me out of them that afternoon. Go here to see a picture, the proof is in the pudding:

http://scottsonearth.blogspot.com/2007/04/stylin.html

nana said...

I can't tell which picture is Tom and which is Shayne... help me out!!!