I have always wanted to be the kind of person who takes a stand. I want to support things that are good and shun things that are bad. If a company is ethically and morally good then I want to put my money in their business and vice versa if a company is bad. So why then do I continue to go to Carl's Jr?
I guess they are not necessarily morally or ethically bad at Carl Jr.'s. But I made a very important promise to myself several years ago that when I saw a certain type of TV commercial that I would never patronize that business. Those commercials left a very disgusting taste in my mouth. And I am happy to report that I did not go there for several years after that.
But the Western Bacon Cheesburger is pretty tasty to be honest with you. I like how they put the onion rings right on the burger just like Whataburger used to do for me in Texas. The first time I saw that particular CJ commercial I swore right then and there, I remember it was at my parent's house, the house I grew up in, I swore I would never eat at a Carl's Jr. So what happened? Did I lose my integrity? Am I sell out? I am so weak. I only go there like 3 times a year, it is not like I totally love the place, but I swore to never go there and I do and yes, I enjoy it.
Speaking of fast food chains, I made a promise to my friend Josh in the winter of 1995 in Provo that whenever we went to Arby's, forever and ever, we had to ask for the homestyle fries. Even though they no longer have homestyle fries, we have to ask for them. And actually, technically, we are to ask for "homey fries". I committed to do this over 12 years ago and I have done it ever since, as recently as last month. I have forgotten once or twice but I always remember the next time. The worst is doing it from the drive thru, some of these employees were not born when Arby's last had Homey Fries, they are like "what?" "what's that?" and I have to say never mind once I ask for them a few times. Josh lives in NYC, I was there last year and did not see one Arby's; I am getting hosed in that oral contract.
My roomate at BYU got me singing "Footloose" whenever I go by that old mill in Lehi. Even when my family is asleep on our way to or from northern Utah I will start singing that song when we go by CowTown.
Speaking of cows, another thing I still do is lift my feet up as I go over a cattle guard, because if I don't, I have to kiss a cow. I don't want to be kissing any cows, that would be gross.
I guess what it comes down to, and this may be a good thing or bad, I can't decide, is if I make a committment to someone else (asking for Homey Fires), I feel I have to keep it. If I just decide to do something for myself (Carl's Jr Boycott) and I don't feel like doing it anymore I won't do it anymore. This is true of a lot of things I guess. If I decide to lose 10 pounds and I don't tell anyone, I will probably give it up but if I tell a bunch of people that I want to lose 10 pounds there is more motivation. Funny, if I could keep my committment to not go to Carl's Jr then I would also probably be keeping my committment to lose 10 pounds. Get it? Carl's Jr is fattening and makes you gain weight?
I am bored with this post. Screw you melon. The end.
Wednesday, February 21, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I have only been to arby's once in the past 2-3 years but the time I went I asked them to make sure they were homestyle fries.
Josh
awesome post shayners. i like carl's jr. i always get a famous star (and ALWAYS ask for no onions, that way they have to make it fresh!) it's so good, even when they raised the price from .99 i STILL got it. I don't eat kudos bars because when amber ence dumped me in 6th grade i was crying and went downstairs(morningside house) and turned on the tv and the "kudos, i'm yours!" commercial was on and they were so happy i decided i'd never eat one. i ate one when we got back from some big hike to the car and steve wells had one and there was nothing else to eat, i seriously thought about not eating it but i did. haven't ate one since. i have never seen that commercial, it's gross, the sandwich looks gross with all the pickles on it, way too many.
andy's and my thing is anytime we go to a drive through, whoever is driving has to say anything the guy in shotgun says - actually i think it's just andy makes me say stuff but that's the funniest time anyway. you should take him out to lunch sometime and try it, he's really good. if i lived in st george i would do that all the time.
p.s. you should read fast food nation, it talks about carl's jr in there it's one of my favorite books.
J, I love andles johnsonius. Nothing would give me more pleasure. Amber Ence is in my ward too, should I tell her where to stick it?
Post a Comment