I wish this entry was about the TV show Webster. I tried to make it so but could not think of anything to write about the little guy. So it is in reference to the dictionary instead.
I recently used the phrase, "cut of your jib" in an entry title. I love that phrase. I say it whenever I can. I actually over use it big time but I am around different people so I make sure I just don't overuse it with the same group of people. But I was wondering if I was using it correctly so I went out and got a definition of it on a website, here it is:
"The cut of a jib is the way a sail is trimmed, or adjusted...hence in reference to a person, it is their style and manner"
I am a really poor wordsmith. My brother sent me the best email a few months ago with literary putdowns and I loved it. One of them was from William Faulkner who was refering to Ernest Hemingway when he said the following:
"He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary."
I think that is so funny and me to a T. To think he was saying that about Ernest Hemingway is humbling. I just hope I have been using cut of your jib correctly. I think I am okay.
But looking for this definition reminded me of high school with my friend's mom Donna. She might be the smartest lady I have known. Not only is she book smart but she always seemed vert street smart as well, like she knew what was going on in the real world and not just in her town, her home, or in her milieu (you like that?). But the best thing was, and I think I remember right, Josh may have to correct me if I am wrong, but I think we used to be able to say words to her and she could tell us their origins. Like their Latin roots or from what country or language the word came from and was derived from, etc. This was like a magical gift to me, I was awed by the power. Like earlier, I bet I could have asked her what "cut of your jib" is and she would have known right off the bat what it was. Other cool phrases are:
"If that is wrong, I don't want to be right"
"raise the roof"
"talk to the hand"
What are some of yours?
Thursday, September 14, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
josh is always telling me the root of words. he must get it from his mom.
remember "jug"?
Post a Comment