Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Marathons and Fancy Spaghetti

I am very excited about The 30th annual St George Marathon coming up in 11 days. Actually it is 10 Days, 13 Hours, 52 Minutes, and 19 Seconds as I write this. Countdown is on this website in the top right corner:

http://www.stgeorgemarathon.com/

So I have a colleague. I would call her a friend but she will get a big head. This colleague walked the Top of Utah marathon last Saturday.

http://todaix.lib.usu.edu/run/marathon.htm

She did not have the greatest of experiences and she has run a marathon before so this was more to support a friend more than anything else. Anyway, she sent to me the following article that I thought was interesting about the number of marathoners there are now and how they are ruining it for the true marathoners:

http://www.slate.com/id/2149867/?GT1=8592

To illustrate what this article is about and to let you know what I think of it I have copied the IM conversation that I had with Fancy Spaghetti. This is not earth shattering stuff but presents an idea that I thought some might think is interesting and hopefully with the marathon coming up it is topical. Please enjoy this sneak peak into a fascinating (sarcasm) conversation. Please note, this conversation has been edited for content and to run in the alloted time. Mostly it was edited just to spell words correctly.

fancy spaghetti says:http://www.slate.com/id/2149867/?GT1=8592
fancy spaghetti says:did you read that?
Shayners says:I am halfway, I got distracted
Shayners says:this is funny
Shayners says:you suck so bad running that marathon so slow last Saturday
fancy spaghetti says:i know it kind of made me feel bad
Shayners says:the guy sounds like me in high school when other people started to like U2 and I liked them before The Joshua Tree
fancy spaghetti says:because when i did run that marathon, it was a "life goal" to finish a marathon, i didn't care about my time
fancy spaghetti says:but i did it!
Shayners says:I care about my time but it was a life goal for me too
fancy spaghetti says:why are you so cool, shayners?
Shayners says:just am
Shayners says:It makes some good points that article
fancy spaghetti says:sounds elite-ist to me
Shayners says:it does
Shayners says:that is the problem
Shayners says:but like people that move here (to St George) and don't want anyone else here you want to be part of the club and you want it to be an elite club
Shayners says:I try to talk people into doing the marathon all the time but if everyone did it would it mean as much? Probably not.
fancy spaghetti says:when i was training to walk that marathon, i saw a lot of people training for the st. g marathon on hwy 18, and i admire all of them
fancy spaghetti says:just think of the vibe you feel at the starting line
Shayners says:it is the best
fancy spaghetti says:all of those people are awesome
Shayners says:the finish is just a little better
fancy spaghetti says:i SO look up to all of them
Shayners says:some are jerks
Shayners says:but most are sweet
fancy spaghetti says:think about the mind power it takes to finish a marathon, it is something very emotional and personal
fancy spaghetti says:who does that guy think he is?
Shayners says:yes, and not just physical, very mental
Shayners says:That elitist pig
Shayners says:he is probably from the east coast
fancy spaghetti says:i found that article on the msn homepage check it out
fancy spaghetti says:"Have Newbies Ruined the Marathon?"
Shayners says:U da man
fancy spaghetti says:How slowpokers & poseurs are clogging the routes
fancy spaghetti says:guess i'm a "poseur"
Shayners says:I would say so
fancy spaghetti says:i wasn't asking youS
hayners says:But I feel strongly that you are
fancy spaghetti says:I DON'T CARE!
The End

6 comments:

Erin said...

I saw this site and thought of you and Daisy. Try it, it's fun.
http://www.jacksonpollock.org/

Shayne said...

That is dang funny Erin. I love it!

k8theriver said...

that made lots of people angry--i could tell by the title of their posts: "do u hate puppies and babies too?" maybe its like candid camera or punked. he just wrote something absurd to get people riled up.

Shayne said...

I think he meant every word. What is punked?

k8theriver said...

are you kidding? maybe i confused you, its really spelled punk'd.

Anonymous said...

I somehow got to your blog from Design Moms blog. I ran the St. George marathon - it was my first marathon. It was a goal for me but now I want to run more. I hope people don't hate me for being a "newbie" but I really think that I am converted. Everyone has to start somewhere.