Last night I took the kids to Mickey Ds. I was arranging Kate's (3rd Daughter) food when all of a sudden a straw cover was in my mouth. You know, those paper covers that you have to tear open to get at the straw. If you rip those open just right you can blow the end of the straw and that thing will fly. But when it happens to you, your immediate reaction is anger. I look up from what I am doing with that paper straw cover in my mouth to see my 4 year old laughing at me with her snagletooth smile. But just as I am about to react in anger I realize that there is only 1 way she learned to do this and that was from me. I have been tearing into straws and blowing the covers into people's faces for over 2 decades now. I come from a long line of annoying people. And it is funny how my immediate reaction gave way to a feeling that I would not have guessed, and that feeling was pride. I mean, she hit me right in the mouth. It was a great shot.
Another time my oldest was telling our neighbors how she is captain of the girls wrestling team at school. She was saying how she wrestles her friend who is a boy and beats him down every time. Should I encourage my daughter to wrestle boys? Maybe not, but whenever she beats the boys in anything I love it and I tell her girls can do anything boys can do even though we all know that is hog wash.
Another time my oldest was at a birthday party at our neighbors who is a very religious guy. I am in the teachers quorum with this man, for those that know what that is. A scout thing. So anyway, this guy asks Parly what she wants to drink and she says Dr Pepper. You know, the drink that mormons aren't supposed to drink or whatever. I should have been embarrassed but for some reason I had never been prouder of my 6 year old (now 7 year old).
This happens all the time when I am pround of my kids for doing something their father does even though I know it is borderline wrong. Oh well. There are worse things they could be doing to be sure.
Wednesday, August 30, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment