Saturday, August 01, 2009

Joan

I have a friend at work. Hard to believe I know. To keep his identity safe, I'll just call him John. Jon...I mean John is a pretty neat guy. He builds bikes and is a Professional Engineer and has beautiful blond hair that goes down to the middle of his back. He attended BYU although he is hesitant to admit it and he loves Lesbians but not in an inappropriate way, in a totally non-sexual way. He beats to his own drum but that drum is pretty cool. He is an enigma wrapped up in a Robert-Oh's taco shell.


So John has long flowing blond locks. He dressed up as a cheerleader for Halloween and it was awesome. He really looked a little too good to be honest. I am glad I did not see him from a distance and think he was a girl and then realize it was him, I don't know if our friendship could withstand something like that.

The other day, and to set the scene, John and I sit side by side in cubicles right as you walk in our office door. We will often get a straggler that comes in looking for a bathroom or directions. So an older couple comes in the other day and John's cube is first and they approach his cube and his back is to them as he works away on his computer. Can you guess what is coming next? So the old dude drops a "madam" on John. Actually, I think it was an "excuse me madam, where is the .......". Not even a Ma'am or Miss but a full on Madam. The guy did not seem to care about the gender confusion but his wife was mortified. Oh man, it was one of the funniest things that has happened in a long time that did not happen directly to me.

To be honest I was not there when this went down but there was a witness and I still think it is so funny. I thought about it while I was running and laughed out loud. Around the office we drop a few "Excuse me Madam"s here and there throughout the day and it was just a great event I will never forget.

11 comments:

Mindi said...

how did 'joan' handle it?

i admit to still loving long hair on certain guys. but not the guy coming out of mr. d's the other day with not a lot on top and the rest of it permed and pulled back in a ponytail. painful.

Shayne said...

Joan took it like a real trooper, in fact he loved it. He has told the story to dozens of people without any shame at all. For a long haired freak, he is oh-kay.

Sabrosa Cycles said...

flanel? check.
birkenstocks? check.
indigo girls box set? check.
I can check off nearly every requirement.

Oh yeah - I don't perm these lovely locks, I sleep in rollers.

jared stanley said...

sounds like a candidate for the king of the hippies

Brittney said...

i love that you laughed out loud while running, just thinking about an event that you heard second-hand. THAT, my friend, is when you know the story is meant to be shared.

Bob said...

Don't ask me how, but I did. I can't wait to see Joan, soon.

Marty Reeder said...

I'm guessing that's why so many long haired dudes grow beards or goatees or monster sideburns ... which, in turn, explains why I don't grow my hair out.

Unknown said...

Im bored, please update your blog. By the way they are Tamarisk trees not tamaracks.

jared said...

i check your blog every day. it has been 2 full months now so i am deleting you from my daily reads. please inform me if you would like to continue posting and i will re add you.

Travis said...

Oh yes.. I have seen that guy. I do know how exactlly he could/would be mistaken. I am sure he got some milage out of that one... Poor guy doesn't have the heart to through the old guy under the bus there, but gets a good laugh out of it later...

Megan Andersen said...

Shayne, what the heck??! Are you really just going to leave us hangin' like this?!!