Friday, December 05, 2008

Dex


Last season my wife and I got addicted to a show on CBS called Dexter. It is actually a show on Showtime but CBS played a slightly cleaned up version of the entire season one. I like this show a lot. I understand the lead character. He happens to be a serial killer who looks a lot like Matt Gunn for one.

I had an idea for a life years ago, maybe for a movie. A guy would have a normal job, maybe be an accountant or I don't know, make maps. He would also have a website or an organization where people would donate out of the goodness of their heart or out of the fear of what is out there. This website or organization's sole goal is to be about carrying out vigilante justice.

I have never needed vigilante justice or carried out vigilante justice in any way and I hope I never do. One of the greatest fears in me is for something dreadful to happen to someone I love and for me not to be able to do anything about it. I don't know how that powerlessness would effect me. I don't want to know. I am very thankful that I was raised with the morals that I have, it scares me to think of the kind of person I would be if I did not have them and care about them as I do.

So in my scenario, during the day the guy (I always pictured him a guy but it could be a girl) would work and be normal but in his spare time he would use his organization's funds to take out or otherwise harm people that deserve it. He would take nominations of those that deserved it the most and what deserved to happen to them. Not everyone deserved to die, some would lose all their money and some would lose a finger and other things important to them, I have not thought it all through.

So Dexter has a secret. He is a serial killer, yes, but he he has morals, he calls it a code. He works for the Miami Metro Police Department as a blood spatter analyst. Hey, he does what he loves. Due to unfortunate things that happened to him as a child he has tendencies toward violence. Dexter is adopted by a father who recognizes these tendencies early on in his life and is able to channel his needs and instill this "code" in him to only take out his aggressions on those that hurt or harm others.

But it is not just that they stole my idea for a show that attracts me to it. Dexter has this secret, his might be a little more serious than most, but we all have our secrets. We get to see Dexter in his life trying to be normal and behind the shadows acting on his impulses. We get to hear what he thinks as well as what he says to other people which is usually the opposite.

We all do that at some level. Except for the killing he reminds me a lot of me. He is not really big on feelings or holidays or birthdays, he has to pretend a lot. We all pretend at different levels.

3 comments:

sadie said...

That's true. You never have been into birthdays or holidays. You must be a lot like Dexter.

mccall... said...

He looks just like Mason Wells to me.

Megan Andersen said...

I was just told about this show the other day--now I am really curious. So what is it you do look forward too? If not holidays or birthdays?? Okay, wait--I think I know the answer to that one!