Not every post has something to do with body odors and excretions, geez.
I took piano lessons for 9 years which, if you think about it, is a very long time. I don't know why people are surprised, maybe it is because of my muscular build. I should be able to play very well but I don't. I can still read music and play a lot of songs if I take the time to practice which I don't.
Although I took 9 years of lessons, probably only about 5 of those were remotely voluntary. I remember fighting my parents on them for years when I was a teenager. How was I supposed to get chicks if I played piano? Little did I know how much girls really dig the piano.
My dad, who I have never heard do anything musical but whistle, always gives the credit for his kids having any smarts at all to taking piano lessons and I think he is probably on to something.
I still remember the day my parents asked me if I was interested in piano. I remember thinking about it and being concerned it was not very manly. I was probably 7 or 8. I could have gone either way with piano but for some reason I wanted to do it. I am really glad I did.
I have had only 3 teachers that I can remember. My second teacher was male and gay even though I did not know this at the time, the only gay man in Nephi, Utah in 1981 for sure. My parents knew it at the time, I am surprised they were progressive enough to allow such an influence. I remember really liking him as a teacher.
I also remember arriving to my first church service on my mission and my companion asking me if I played the piano. I played in every single branch that I was in in each area. I did not understand until I was in that situation how important music is to a meeting. Listening to the Portuguese sing without any music was brew-tull!
Now I am pretty much just a Family Home Evening pianist. I could never play the organ in church, I could do some priesthood piano if I had to but that is all. I complain about playing each Monday but it is fun to have music and for my girls to hear hymns and see the piano used. My oldest just started piano and soon she will be better than me and that is great.
I guess what I am trying to say is, all you adults were right. I am glad I took piano lessons.
Thursday, June 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
THAT was one of the reasons I married you.... and your muscles, of course.
Since your father can't do it alone, I will share this blog with him! He will be very pleased to hear that you are glad you can play. I don't know many adults who can't play, that don't wish fervently that they could! So, I am glad that you recognize its value. As you may remember, your dad's goal was always when you could pick out hymms from the hymm book and play some - then he thought you could quit lessons. So you have certainly met his goals in that regard and you verified his philosophy of music students being better all-around students. It is a good thing he kept you taking lessons, because I would have given up years before - (course I don't remember him sitting at the piano with each of you during your lessons either)
Now that the pain is over, I am very grateful that you have that choice in your life and we all know how "macho" Liberace was!
Love mom
Post a Comment