Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Annapolis and Montpelier, in case you were wondering

I wonder where Mindy Lemmon is right now. Do you ever think that people are talking about you or wonder if people ever talk about you? I NEVER think anyone is talking about me. I wonder what Mindy Lemmon would think if she knew what we did to her name just to get girls.

The year was 1995-96. I call it the year of love. Maybe the year at attempted love. So I am at BYU and Josh is at Utah and we would rarely hang out in Provo but when we would we would knock on doors looking for girls. We had two routines we would use to get in the door and talking to girls.

The first routine was asking for Mindy Lemmon. It started out that we really were looking for Mindy Lemmon one night. I don't think Josh even knows who she is, even after asking for her maybe 100 times. Everyone knows the best way to meet new girls is to go to the apartments of girls you know and check out their roommates, but you have to get in the door somehow.

We never found Mindy that night or any other night but we realized that just asking for her and getting help from girls was often all we needed to do. So we had it down where we would ask for her, knowing she was not there, then we would ask to borrow a ward guide and see if we could find her, also knowing she was not in there.

By the time I pretended to go through the ward guide for a few minutes, we already knew if we were staying or going. Many times we stayed for hours and came back and many times we left and did not look back.

The other routine involved the person answering the door and Josh saying "hi, this is my friend Shayne, he is majoring in Geography. Ask him any state and he can give you the capital."

This was a joke about my major. Even though we did not learn the states and capitals in a college geography class, I did happen to know my S&C quite well. If the girl said something like Montana or California, we knew we were out of there quick. But if a cute girl used this as an opportunity to test me, say with a Maryland or Vermont, I became immediately interested.

It really is a wonder with these skills that it took me until I was 24 to get married.

9 comments:

Holly O. said...

Daisy is one lucky gal. (Look out, the comment flood gates have officially been opened.)

Amy said...

SO... did Dais say Vermont or Maryland???

I bet you anything Mindy Lemmon will some way, somehow read this post. Blog stalking is a powerful thing....

tara said...

I actually knew a mindy lemmon. It was 20 years ago.

I'd have absolutely asked you some obscure state. oh, and by the way. none of those girls were fooled by your clever guise for half a second. They were just glad they had some dudes hanging around.

Kathryn said...

I remember Kendall and Chia using that technique and having it totally backfire becasue they knocked on my sister becky's door and then the gig was up. But then maybe it didn't backfire because then Becky and Chia dated a little bit.

Nate P said...

That sounds like it might have worked pretty well. However we used to moonlight as the BYU welcoming committee, specifically to opposing womens gymnastics teams. Offering a simple single rose at the end of their meet and then arriving at their hotel rooms with a gift basket of chicklets got us in every time! This unfortunatly was not sanctioned by collegiate affiliates.

Anonymous said...

yeah becky and chia dated for like a week until he told her he loved her which he will not admit.

and shayners i'm sure she'll read this, just google her name and look at the first post.

Anonymous said...

i said i loved her EYES, but i must have mumbled the EYES part. i was living with ben at the time and he would always bring so many girls home and they all worshipped him so i thought i'd try to imitate him. all he'd do is shower them with compliments and they'd soak it up. it didn't quite work as planned cause she split after that first kiss and kept her distance, despite months of different approaches and personal coaching by ben, greg, and kendall (who had to have a combined girls kissed total of over 1,000). it couldn't have been my kissing skills though cause i'd worked out the kinks in that area during switch '94 and my kissing lesson with angalee ford.

Anonymous said...

'becky, i know it's only been a week, but i love you.'

*silence and weirdness vibe from becky

'...your eyes, i said i love your eyes. haha yeah, that would be SO awkward if i said i love you so soon, but oh man, i just LOVE your eyes.'

Anonymous said...

i love you jared