Wednesday, December 19, 2007

I'm all out of Love

So in maybe 1986 there was a big announcement, the "band" Air Supply was coming to St George (you should watch that whole video, is that a ferocious Tiger on his shirt?).

You can make fun of Air Supply if you want but I know you like their songs. They are like that Carpenters song from Tommy Boy. You can pretend like you want to change the station when Air Supply comes on and then next thing you know you are singing the words and crying.

So 1986, they are coming to town. So I like them and I am not ashamed to admit it. But at the time I was pretty ashamed. I have this friend, his name rhymes with Shnate Fence. He LOVES Air Supply. But I have their best of cassette and it serves a good purpose with all those tender love songs so I can appreciate them.

So somehow we decided to go to this concert. I have been to Martika, The Jets, and even Rick Astley (the Pop-up video version, very cool), so this was not necessarily a huge step down at the time. These are the types of bands that came to St George at the time and frankly our options have not really improved much over the years.

So my friend Shmate and I decide we want to go but somehow we decided that we needed to get really good seats. I really can't remember if I wanted really good seats or if I was just going along with my friend but that was the decision. So the night before the tickets go on sale, he sleeps at my house and we set our alarm for 4:45am in order to get to the box office and get good seats. Remember, this is before internet and the Cox Arena was not exactly set up for phone orders either.

So everything works out and we get up and we are like the 5th and 6th person in line at 5am. We now only have 3 short hours until the box office opens. I admit it, I am getting caught up in the excitement of it all. The six of us at 6am (the other 4 of course were women) are singing:

"Here I am, the one that you love, asking for another chance...understand, the one that you love....."

So 7am roles around and we are still the only 6 in line. This is getting to be a roast that we got up at 4:45 in the morning. Finally, another woman comes behind us at 7:30 and the box office opens promptly at 8:00 am. Thank goodness we got up 3 hours early on a Saturday morning so we could get a better ticket than this lady behind us. I honestly will be forever grateful that there were people in front of us, that would have been the worst to be all alone in line until 8am, wow.

But it does get worse. As it turns out there were not enough tickets sold to even have the concert so Air Supply ditches us because of lack of interest. Lack of interest? Didn't they see 2 handsome 16 year-old boys at 5am at the box office?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh man dude, getting to a concert EARLY to avoid the rush and then having the concert cancelled because of lack of interest - that's a hard one to top...i think it even beats josh's return of the jedifan marathon.

daisy said...

I've heard that story before..but yet again I am crying. So so great!

But now I want to hear the story behind Josh's jedifan marathon. Somebody tell it PLEASE!

sadie said...

Shayne, I was about to make fun of you, but then I remembered back to fifth grade when I went to school two hours early so I could take care of the class mouse over Christmas break.

Not only did no one else come at all, but when my teacher finally got there, I had to remind her why I was waiting there. It takes a strong person to admit to waiting two hours (in the snow) for a mouse.

Amy said...

great great really really great story. that sucks that you didn't even get to see them... after all that.

and I love Air Supply. and I am not ashamed. they come on the radio and the hand microphone automatically takes it place.

Erica Onelove said...

I saw the Jets twice. They rocked & they even showed you how to tie a Hawaiin sarong.
Good story.

LoGunns said...

I was reading this out loud to Matt and couldn't finish because I was laughing so hard! I really needed a good laugh.

Kristin said...

How is it there are still stories I haven't heard? I love how you keep Schmate Fence SOOOO annoymous. Great story!!!!!

Abbigail said...

That is the BEST! I ADORE Air Supply. I have all their albums and "our" song is lost in love. Does it get any better then that! I can't believe that they didn't show at the concert.

I am glad that no one is ashamed to love air supply. they rule!

Brian said...

Dude, I have known you for 20 years and I don't think I have every heard that story. I am embarassed for you with every fiber of my being. You must be getting comfortable in your old age to admit a huge pansy move like that. Did they check your I.D. to see if you were actually male?

Shayne said...

No, they did not care if we were male or not there at the Air Supply concert.

It is just good to get this story off my chest, it has been eating at me for some time now.

Anonymous said...

I haven't had a good laugh like this for a long time! They may not have come in 1986, but they did come in 2003. Fess up - were you and Schmate Fence the two on the front row waiving your bics?

Great story! Love Mom

Anonymous said...

a true Air Supply fan would know the lyrics are, "Here I am, the one that you love, asking for another DAY... Understand, the one that you love, loves you in so many WAYS..." coming from a true fan. :) HOwever, I must remain anonymous, lest anyone discover my obsession with Air Supply.