Thursday, June 07, 2007

Warning: Post is Rated PG-13 (or for those that know who the tooth fairy is)

So a few nights back we are having dinner and Parly, my oldest, is about to lose a tooth. She is talking about how she got $1 for the first 3 teeth she lost but her friend Halle got $5. I say that sometimes the tooth fairy has different amounts of money at different times or something lame like that. I can see the wheels turning in her head, she is no where near satisfied with my answer. She looks me right in the eyes and says, and I quote:

.... "are you guys just the tooth fairy and you were trying to save some money because you don't like to spend it?"

I could not help but smile about being ratted out like that and right when I smiled the gig was up. She asked over and over and I was changing the subject, her 3 younger sisters were right there as well. So I decide I am not going to lie to her, if she is old enough to figure it out on her own she is old enough to know the truth. So I get Daisy talking about something unrelated and pulled Parly into the other room and told her what was up and she was not too disspointed and seemed pretty excited that she was old enough to know the truth.

The best is that my cheapness ratted me out. My cheapness has always been so good to me.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha awesome story.

Amy said...

the toothfairy! I forgot about the tooth fairy. (Tyler still hasn't lost any teeth...)

"Tyler do you know who the tooth fairy is?" Tyler: "No mommy, I don't. who is the tooth fairy?"

I might be a failure as a mom.

daisy said...

My favorite was that she still wanted to leave a note for the "Tooth Fairy" ...even knowing it was us.

Brooke said...

Miles was wondering why his friend got $20!!!! from the toothfairy. I just explained that she probably has a different toothfairy (there are many--you know, like postal workers) and her toothfairy was rich. I also rubbed it in that I only got a quarter or a 50-cent piece from my toothfairy. But he seemed okay with my explanation and likes telling people that he got a 1-dollar coin and seventy-seven cents for his tooth.

Amy said...

$20 for a tooth?! I'd pull all mine out right now :)

Anonymous said...

c'mon daddy warbucks, open your wallet and open your heart, you can give up just 1 game of golf so poor little Parly can earn a Jackson or two. You play too much anyway!

Emily said...

When Lily lost her first tooth, she dutifully put it under her pillow....and...I completely forgot. So, the next morning at breakfast--we were flumuxed. I didn't really have an explaination so we decided to just try it again.
Lily came home all excited because Emme's mom told her that the tooth fairy has Wednesday nights off. Yeah to Emme's mom!!! She saved the day.

When's Parly going to start asking about Santa?

sadie said...

Aren't you going to finish the story? About how you "borrowed" money from your other daughter in order to pay for Parly's tooth? I'm on to you.

Shayne said...

We actually did not "borrow" money from Clayre to pay Parly we just borrowed it (without the quotes) and I returned it the next day.

Also, just as a follow up, although I don't think anyone will see this again, Parly cornered me the other night, and I wish I was making this up, and she said, "if you guys are the tooth fairy are you Santa Claus too?" And I asked her why she would say that and she said "because when I lose a tooth you make me go to bed early for the tooth fairy and before Christmas you make me go to bed early for Santa so are you Santa?" and I looked her right in the eyes and said "No, Parly, I am not Santa Claus, do I look like Santa Claus?"

Sounds like it will be a fun December this year!