Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Slacker McSlacky

I have been waiting for this week to write about the triathlon and how fun it was but I don't have that much to write. I did not help as much as I have in past years. I barely even said hello to Ben a few times which is a bummer. I did get to hang with Cha-Cha-Cha Chia Gunn, Andius Johnsonius, and Steve which was fun. But looking back it was really a weekend of revealing to me my own mortality in big ways. Three big ways.

1) First of all, much of when I was helping I was writing people's race numbers on their triceps and calves. That was a fun job and I enjoyed seeing people I knew and hob nobbing with those I did not know. You just have to love Triathlon and Marathon racers, they are the nicest and most uplifting and positive people there are in the universe. But I woke up the next day and have rarely been as sore as my legs were that next day. I still am having a hard time understanding why they were so sore. I keep saying to my family that I can not believe it. I did kneel down, write on someone's calf, and then stand up probably 300 times. This may not seem like a big deal but I was REALLY SORE and quite upset about it. I am 32 now, not the young strapping man I was 2 years ago I guess.

2) The second thing was I was excited for the organization this year. I usually spent all my time at the race site setting up and this year I was at the expo almost the whole time I was helping. I have loved staying up until the wee hours the last few years but something in me was so glad this year that I was not staying out too late. I was so glad as I went home at 10:30pm that they had stuff together more this year. At least that is what I thought until I called Josh the next day to go to MI:III and he said he got an hour of sleep. I felt so bad for ditching him cuz I thought stuff was together and was so very sad (wink wink nudge nudge) that I missed staying out so late. I am 32 now, what can I say (even though old man stanley is 34).

3) The last thing that really made me think this weekend was someone died during the triathlon, dying way too early. He was only 35 years old. 35, that is only 3 years older than me. I got a few details from the sgtri website on the forums area below:

http://www.sgtri.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=136

and I was touched by what I read and what was written by many, including Jared. I don't know any more details but there are some photos on there with him and his 4 kids and wife that tear me up inside. I wonder what he could have done to prevent this if anything and what I could do to prevent this from happening to my family. The true tragedy is with those left behind. I wonder about how I eat and drinking Dr Pepper like I do, it could easily be me. I am not a young pup anymore.

So the tri this year taught me that I am old and fat and I have always known I was ugly. As Jim Ford used to say, I may be old but I'm fat. The question is what do I do now?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Shayne, it turns out that our new camp director at Hunt this year is the cousin to this guy (Jason Eborn). We went to a meeting and he had to leave early to go to the funeral. He was pretty shocked by the whole thing, thinking a lot about the family left behind. Sad, sad stuff.